Monday, December 8, 2008

I always said I would never



spend a lot of money on a sick pet. Well I was REALLY wrong. A week before Thanksgiving this year Ron and I noticed that our FAVORITE cat Lucy was not doing things she normally did like jumping into the laundryroom sink for drinks, was lethargic and had lost a lot of weight. I took her to the vet, and she had lost 4 pounds. She was diagnosed with hepatic lipidosis (yellow cat) and the only way to help her was to have the vet insert a stomach tube and tube feed Lucy. It was a pretty pricey procedure, coupled with a weekend stay at a veterinary hospital, but I couldn't have her put to sleep. She is young and the favorite family pet. So, Lucy underwent surgery, is fed every 4 hours via the feeding tube, and is now down to 1 medication/day versus the 3 she had to begin with. Lucy had gained 12 ounces in a week at our last vet visit and is perking right up!! We are hoping she starts eating food on her own again so we can stop around-the-clock feedings!

No comments: